When estate planning, young parents may want to name a guardian

Preparing one's estate is not something that many young parents in Michigan really feel is necessary. They generally have their hands full and it just does not seem like an important thing to do. The truth of the matter is, for people with minor children, estate planning really should not be put off as doing so will leave their children unprotected.

If one died today or became incapacitated in someway, who would take care of one's children? Without naming a guardian, this is a choice that will be left up to a judge. Is that something with which one can live? Or does one want to have a say in the matter? It is fairly safe to say that the vast majority of parents would like to have a say in who will raise their children in the event that they cannot.

By naming a guardian, one will choose who will make sure that his or her children's needs are met. The person appointed as guardian can be a friend or relative. If desired, more than one person can be given this responsibility so that it is shared rather than left to a lone individual.

In most cases a guardianship will only last until a child turns 18 or until a judge determines that the guardianship can be ended. In cases involving special needs children, guardianships can last well into adulthood or even until the death of the child. A guardianship may also come to a close if the guardian wishes to be released from his or her role.

Choosing who will care for one's children in the event of one's death or incapacitation is a difficult task. It is something that not one really wants to think about, but the consequences of failing to do it are simply too great. Young parents in Michigan who need help with this and other estate planning concerns can turn to an experienced attorney for assistance.

Source: FindLaw, "FAQ on Guardianship of Minor Children", Accessed on June 7, 2017